No one likes the look of stretch marks, and both men and women can fall prey to these unsightly scars. Caused by the skin being stretched due to sudden changes in weight, WebMD says that the marks will often start red or purple and then fade to a silvery white.
Unfortunately, once they have appeared, the Mayo Clinic states that you can't really reverse them. You can, however, try some of the 5 home remedies below to prevent and reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
1. Watch your weight. The first recommendation by the Mayo Clinic to help prevent stretch marks is to maintain a healthy weight. Avoid sudden weight gain or loss as these tend to cause the stretch marks to appear.
2. Hydrate the skin. If, as a woman, you find yourself pregnant, and weight gain is unavoidable, be sure to hydrate your skin often. Medical News Today says to apply moisturizers when the skin is damp for the best absorption.
3. Stay hydrated. Keeping yourself well-hydrated is another way to help prevent the onset of stretch marks according to WebMD.
4. Use sunscreen. Medical News Today recommends using sunscreen as a preventive measure as the sun dries out the skin and makes it more prone to stretch marks.
5. Eat healthy. Having a well-balanced diet will ensure that your body gets the necessary nutrients to help the skin stay pliable. This recommendation hits the list from Medical News Today.
All content on this Web site, including medical opinion and any other health-related information, is for informational purposes only and should not be considered to be a specific diagnosis or treatment plan for any individual situation. Use of this site and the information contained herein does not create a doctor-patient relationship. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.